ABOUT Samick Pianos
Samick Musical Instruments Co. Ltd is the oldest and largest piano manufacturer in Korea and ranked third in world piano sales. Within its short history Samick has grown from a small workshop manufacturing around a hundred pianos a year, into a network of modern and highly sophisticated manufacturing facilities producing more than 30,000 pianos annually. They export pianos to Asia-Pacific, Europe, America and other markets around the world.
EXCELLENCE in Manufacturing
For the first time in Samick's history a range of grand pianos have been made using the CNC process. This is a new manufacturing system recommended by renowned German piano manufacturer, C. Bechstein. Bechstein's German technicians recently provided a consultancy to Samick and worked with them to produce the New Samick Grand (NSG) piano range.
CNC stands for 'Computer Numerical Control'. This is a computer jargon for the modern robot manufacturing process operated by three dimensional computer software. These robots can be programmed to cut within one hundredth of a millimeter, thus producing breath-taking accuracy and a zero defect rate. The CNC integrated system recently purchased by Samick was manufactured in Germany. Samick is currently the only piano manufacturer in Asia utilizing the German engineering system and it is one of the most up to date version being used in the world today.
SO why use robots?
Computer Numerical Control produces consistency and accuracy in cutting the major parts of the piano, which means all NSG pianos will display better sound, tuning stability and longevity. Some people think that hand-made is better and more 'romantic'. However, there are many technical aspects of piano design linked to physics, that today's researchers have discovered can improve a piano's performance. It is very difficult to achieve these improvements using the same manufacturing methods used 300 years ago...times have changed!
SUPERIOR Sound Quality
Why will the NSG series be a source of great interest to the music industry and professional pianists?
- The NSG range demonstrates a fuller, richer tone due to their distinct new body shape. They have a wider design which allows increased string length and greater soundboard area delivering a quality of sound that surpasses similar sized pianos in the market.
- The NSGs exhibit a noticeably greater range of dynamics, allowing fuller expression from pianissimo to fortissimo.
- Sustain is lengthened. Design improvements and manufacturing accuracy of the soundboard, ribs etc ensures dynamic expression is maximised and also sustained longer.
- Extraneous noises are removed that could have previously occurred through manual manufacture of the physical structure.
- Excellent tonal harmony is achieved through more accurate positioning of components, such as the bridge and ribs on the soundboard etc.
- Sound energy is conserved due to greater structural support and adhesive strength of parts connected by the CNC machine.
|Soundboard||Asymmetrically tapered and contoured solid spruce soundboard made of select spruce from Europe|
|Ribs||Full length, pre-crowned solid spruce ribs, notched into the inner rim|
|Bridges||Plywood beech + Maple cap assembly, pre-crowned|
|Plate||Pure iron made in the tradition method of slow sand casting|
|Keys||Premium spruce keys, individually balanced and weighted|
|Pin Block||16 ply cross grained laminated hard rock maple made in USA|
|Other||16 ply cross grained laminated hard rock maple made in USA|
|Duplex scale plate|
|Solid spruce beam|
|Slow close fallboard|
|Hardwood legs with iron inter locking system|
|Forged brass pedals|
|Full sostenuto system|